Striving to become a Domestic Goddess

Sunday, February 27, 2005

My first Yorkshire pudding

The problem with Yorkshire pudding is that it can be darned finnicky. I remember when I was growing up, making Yorkshire pudding for Sunday lunch would be one of the most stressful times of the week for my mother. Sometimes it would rise, and other times it could be used as a WMD. It used to work out pretty well when we lived in the UK, but once we went to Australia it was a pain in the arse to get it right. It turned out to be a flour thing, and some adjustments to the recipe were required. But, in the last year or so, Mum has discovered Jamie Oliver's Yorkshire pud recipe, and it has changed her life.
Today Rhonda called us and invited us over for dinner to eat some roast beef she'd bought. I decided I had to make Yorkshire pudding. I was scared, but it turned out really well.


Here's the recipe, which serves 4 people:

3 eggs
115 g plain flour (slightly less than 1 cup)
285 ml milk
salt and pepper to taste
2 tbsp olive oil

Mix the eggs, flour and salt and pepper together. Gradually add the milk while stirring constantly - you can use an electric mixer. Allow the mixture to stand in the fridge for a while (up to 12 hours before is fine), but bring back to room temp before putting in the oven.
Preheat the oven to 220 C/ 425 F . Put the olive oil in the baking dish. Place the baking dish in the oven for 10 min, then remove and pour in the batter.
Put the dish back in the oven and do not open the oven door again until cooked. The Yorkshire pud will take 20-30 min to cook, depending on the oven. It should be puffy and golden brown. Opening the oven door before it is cooked, will cause the Yorkshire pudding not to rise.

Serve immediately.

2 Comments:

Blogger lenton said...

I popped in to see if you have been cooking sausage rolls only to discover you haven't been cooking at all !

4:48 PM  
Blogger Sarah said...

I have too been cooking! See, I made creme brulee. Ok ok, I promise I will make the sausage rolls soon. Maybe this weekend

10:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home